Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Harry Potter Marathon Day

So, I told you earlier that my family was going to be having a Harry Potter marathon today and that is exactly what we did; we only got through the first five movies - because watching all of them in one day is basically impossible without staying up insanely late or getting up super early (or a combination of the both), but we had a lot of fun anyway.

I also mentioned that we would be making a bunch of recipes from "The Unofficial Harry Potter Cookbook;" which, once again we did indeed do.  We didn't get to make nearly as many things as we wanted to, but we had kind of over planned anyway.  Also, I mentioned that I was going to list all of the recipes that we cooked, but alas, I am not, because that would be way too difficult now that I've thought it over; when I do my weekly baking and only make one or two things in a day I will list the recipes, but I'm not going to do that today.

The first things that we made were for breakfast; we made cauldron cakes, which are basically just really big, fluffy - and much more delicious - pancakes.  The cakes had lemon zest in them and usually I'm not the biggest fan of lemon flavored things, but in this case I really enjoyed them.  My mom and I kept joking that we'd never be able to eat regular pancakes again.  To go along with our cauldron cakes we also made pumpkin juice, which my mother was afraid of at first, but I thought was really good.
                       

For lunch we made bangers and mash with an onion gravy.  Basically it was just sausages and mashed potatoes.  I thought that was pretty good too; I even enjoyed the gravy and usually I hate things with lots of unions - the unions were so cooked to death in this recipe that they basically weren't there any more though.  Below is a picture of that, and yes, I am aware that bangers are supposed to be links usually and not patties, but the recipe said patties, so, yeah...

In between lunch and dinner we had pumpkin pasties and butter beer.  I made the pumpkin pasties myself and they came out much better than I thought they were going to.  The butter beer was basically just cream soda with a tiny bit of butter extract and a whipped cream that you put on top; it was pretty good, but it was a little much for my taste.  The pumpkin pasties were delicious though.

Dinner was a roast and Yorkshire pudding; I was really afraid of the pudding at first because the name just made me think that it was supposed to be... liquidy-ish, you know, like a pudding, but it was more like a steamed bread and was actually pretty good.  The roast was great, but I knew that it would be.
                 
                            

I was most pleased with dessert because, much like the pumpkin pasties, I made it completely myself (whereas the other stuff my mom made most of).  Also like the pumpkin pasties, dessert came out better than I thought it was going too.  We had a treacle tart for dessert, by the way.  I had never made my own pie crust - even though this was technically tart crust, but they're very similar things - so I was worried about it not coming out well, and then we also didn't have the right kind of pan, so when I was first making it, it didn't look pretty at all, but once it cooked it puffed up and got all nice and golden and it just looked so beautiful.  Taste wise my mom described it as reminding her of a lemon bar and when she said that, I realized that she was totally right and that's exactly what it tasted like.
                 

Alright, well, I'm pretty sure that's everything.  Since we didn't finish all of the movies today we are planning on watching the sixth tomorrow night - after my mom gets home from work - and then the seventh and eighth on Thursday night and along with continuing to watch the movies we were going to make a few more recipes from the above cookbook so I'll tell you about those then - along with the anime I am already supposed to talk about tomorrow.

6 down, 25 to go.
Look forward to anime tomorrow, yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment